Saturday, May 19, 2012

Princess Ears

This morning Lilly was digging around in her closet and she found some stick-on earrings. I walked in to check on her and she had two on one earlobe, one on the other and a few on her fingers. She was staring at herself in the mirror, in total awe.

"Hey Lilly, do you want to get real earrings... kinda like Mommy's?" (My earlobes are stretched so I suppose this wasn't the best example for my two-year-old.)

"Yes! Mommy! Yes!" She exclaimed. Suddenly, her eyes lit up as if she just caught a glimpse of what her future possibly held. "Diiiiiiiiamonds?!"

I wasn't exactly sure where to go from there. Aaron and I decided a long time ago that we weren't going to pierce her ears until she asked for it. Did this really count? Am I pressuring her into this? Am I the equivalent of one of those pageant moms on Toddlers and Tiaras? I am. I suck.

Eh... I decided to roll with it, anyway. She can talk. She knows what an earring is. She's totally up for it. This counts. I rule. I am the best mom ever.

I explained the piercing process and Lilly was completely on board... even if it meant getting a little pinch. I called my best pal Kat (who happens to be a manager at a certain piercing place) and asked if she would be up for a special visitor at work. She was. So, after lunch we headed to the mall to get Lilly her diamonds.

She had a hard time deciding which earrings were the ones for her. She kept going back and forth between an emerald birthstone and a pink flower. "Green! No... fower. No... Green! Hmm... fower?" She ended up settling on the pink flower. I think she made a good choice. Kat cleaned and dotted her ears and we got settled in for the main event.


The before shots...


Can you tell I was nervous?

Pow! Pow!

My poor girl.


No grudges here... I hope.






She took it like a champ. She sobbed for a few minutes, but once Aunt Kat offered to buy her whatever she wanted, she was all smiles. She even picked out her own set of aquatic-themed earrings. "Under the sea! Yes, Mommy! Yes!"

We also caught her staring at herself in the mirror a few times. She told us she looked like a Princess... "Show White" to be specific.

Oh, and I'll try to update this with an after shot... eventually. Shortly after we left the mall, Lilly decided to throw it into full-on tantrum mode and let's just say, Little Miss Princess Ears isn't up for a photo shoot right now. Hooray for me.

3 comments:

  1. i got my ears pierced when i was three. my mom says i was really good and didn't make a peep (i got them pierced at her salon) but as soon as we got in the car I said "mama that really hurt" and cried all the way home. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got mine pierced when I was four. It was at some really gross carnival. I remember crying my eyes out on some ride immediately after. Awww, memories.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...