It's also really hard to find time to prep and cook dinner every night. I mean, I still do it... but I have to get creative. That's where my new best friend comes into play: My crockpot. Oh, beautiful crockpot. Marry me.
I think I use the crockpot at least three times a week. I just toss a few ingredients in, give it a swirl and voila! Dinner is served. (Well, it will be served six to eight hours later.) I love it. It's like magical little elves invaded my kitchen and made me something scrumptious. Perfect.
I think I'll share a few of my favorite recipes on here because, well, they're really tasty and who doesn't like tasty things? First up: Four bean chili macaroni and cheese!
This is probably Lilly's favorite dish. She's turned into quite the picky eater, so, anytime she gobbles something up and demands "mo! mo!" I make a note of it.
I first discovered the recipe on weelicious. (If you aren't familiar with weelicious, definitely check it out! Catherine is an awesome cook and all of her recipes are healthy and kid friendly!) I modified it a little bit based on the ingredients I had on hand and it was deeeeelicious. Beware, this makes a ton of chili. I usually use about two cups for the chili mac and eat the rest throughout the week. Sometimes I'll freeze the rest for a day when I'm too lazy to even bother with the crockpot.
Four Bean Chili
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Lb ground turkey (You can use ground beef or chicken... we just prefer turkey.)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-28 Oz can tomato sauce
- 2-15 Oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tsp salt
Now for the macaroni and cheese.You will need:
- 1 cup milk (We use 2% which makes it a little watery. I usually cook the sauce a little longer to let it thicken.)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of your delicious chili
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups macaroni pasta, cooked
You can top it with more cheese, green onions, sour cream, whatever. OMG. Sooo good.
Lilly pretty much devoured this bowl as I was trying to take a picture of it. I told you it was good!
No comments:
Post a Comment