It's hard to go on dates when you have two kids, especially when one of those babies nurses around the clock. It's pretty much impossible when you don't have babysitters. Aaron and I have only gone on three dates by ourselves since Lilly was born... more than two years ago. I was a crying, nervous wreck on one of those dates so it probably doesn't even count.
Well, taking all that into consideration, we decided we need to get creative in order to spend some time together without a toddler tagging along. On Christmas Eve, we decided to stay up after the girls crashed and have some "us" time. It was well worth it. We held hands, talked about things other than babies, and watched a movie.
| Recognize this romantic movie? |
It was so much fun, that we decided to do it again the next night... sorta. On the way home from my grandma's house, both babies fell asleep. They were still out by the time we got home, so we did a U-turn and drove to McDonald's to grab a snack for the two of us.
We sat in the car for a while, eating our Big Macs, listening to Christmas music and giving each other compliments.
Yeah, they may not have been the most romantic dates, but they were super sweet and just what we needed. When you're raising children, it's so easy to lose sight of your spouse. All of the day-to-day things get in the way of the romance. A wise dude from our church once told us, that even when you have kids, you need to remember that your spouse is still No. 1... after all, a happy marriage makes for a happy home and our kids deserve the best.
I want my girls to see the love their father and I share. I want them to have a strong example of a healthy marriage. I want them to see us still holding hands fifty years from now.
I'm guilty of being lazy when it comes to my marriage and I am so ready to fix that... even if Date Night means nothing more than skipping out on sleep to hold hands in our living room.
No comments:
Post a Comment